Sunday, May 30, 2010

Week 64

May 26-Jun 4

At the beginning of this week we decided to go visit Daddy in GA! It seemed like a great idea at the time...but turned out to be a little bit of a disaster. Don't get me wrong, it was AWESOME to see Ed, but traveling with a 1 year old is not as much fun as one would think. Let me start at the beginning...

We left on Tuesday morning and started on I-95. On the way we stopped at IHOP to meet Rachel and her dad for breakfast. Jack got pancakes and had a great time hanging out with everyone. We got back in the car and set out towards Jacksonville. The plan was for Rachel to follow us and we were going to stop at Wolfson Children's Hospital (my old job) so she could check it out. She is going to move near Jax in the fall for nursing school so I figured I would help her out and try to get her a job in pediatrics since she loves it so much. I really miss that place...
Jack waiting for his pancakes...

It was so nice seeing everyone. I wish I could have seen my whole night crew. :( I miss everyone so much! I forgot how awesome the hospital was and how many neat things they offer kids. It is such a great place!! We walked around and then left the hospital after eating some lunch. I'm not even going to get into the part of the story where we missed our exit and got lost in a not very nice part of town...that was interesting. Only me.

Jack ordering room service at the hotel.

We said goodbye to Rachel and made our way up to GA to see Daddy! Jack hadn't seen him in over a week and I knew he was going to be excited. He was very well behaved (he had taken a 1 1/2 hour nap in the car on the way to Jax so the timing ended up being perfect). When we made it to the hotel Jack spent a little time exploring the room and hanging out with his Dad. We figured we would take a dip in the pool, have a little dinner, and then he would be tired out for bed.

Before we got there I asked Ed to call the front desk and see if they had cribs...they said they did. I figured it would be just fine but I brought the Pack 'n Play just in case. Well the crib the hotel offered was kind of a "mini crib"...that's the only way I can think to describe it. Jack barely could stretch from one end to the other. The "mattress" was this thin little plastic pad on top of a wooden bottom so it wasn't very comfortable.
That night was a nightmare.

Horrendous...

Every.

Two.

Hours.

Jack would wake up, realize he was in a strange place and start freaking out. He never wakes up once he goes down for the night. To make matters worse Ed had gone to work for the night since he was assigned to the night shift. It was just me and I tried EVERYTHING! Comforting him, rocking him, putting him in bed with me. It didn't matter...

I felt like I had a newborn again except it was worse. He woke up every 3-4 hours as a newborn, but not screaming. I would feed him and he would fall peacefully back to sleep.
Daddy and Jack looking at the giraffes!

It was one of the worst nights ever. Ed ended up getting off a little bit early (around 3 am) and so the next morning he decided to join us for out trip to the Jax zoo. As usual the zoo was great! I have loved that zoo ever since the first time I went years ago when we moved to GA. It was lots of fun! We met up with Rachel again and explored the zoo. We let Jack run around and burn off energy. We were there for almost 4 hours...he was EXHAUSTED!

We got back to the hotel and Daddy had to go to sleep b/c he would have to work again that night. I was still undecided about whether or not we were going to leave that day or stay one more night. I went ahead and had all of our stuff packed in the car just in case. The plan was for me to take Jack to my friend Sami's house and set up his Pack 'n Play in one of her guest rooms so he could take a nap.

No nap. Nothing. He would NOT sleep in that thing.

I had enough. I couldn't imagine spending another night in the hotel room so I just put him in the car and left. He took maybe a 1/2 hour nap in the car around 3:30 in the afternoon and that was ALL he slept for that day. I figured he would be FLIPPING OUT by the time we got home but he was fine. We made a little detour at the Outlets in St. Augustine b/c it was raining and safety comes first (and I saw a Crocs outlet). We got home, I fed him dinner, and he went straight to bed at like 6:30.

Maybe he will do a little better with traveling when he is a little older. I sure hope so!

1 comment:

jeastlack said...

Oh my goodness!!! That sounds pretty rough, those are the kinds of things I would not even think about when it comes to having kids and traveling! ahh!