Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Week 15

June 17-23

This past week was really hard for us. We found out last Monday that Ed's grandfather had passed away and so we had to quickly make plans to fly up to Pittsburgh for the funeral. Monday was a crazy day. I found out I got my job, we got plane tickets, and packed all of our stuff to travel. Tuesday morning (very early) I had to stop by the hospital to do my drug test and bloodwork, fill out papers, and other not so fun pre-job stuff. Then I rushed home where Ed and Jack were waiting to leave with the car packed, we rushed to the airport, rushed to the terminal, and just made our plane.

It was Jack's first plane ride, very sad under the circumstances. He did very well on the plane and if it bothered him at all he didn't act like it. We finally arrived in Pittsburgh late Tuesday afternoon and met up with the family. It was a bittersweet few days as the family remembered all the good times they had with "Big Al." It was nice to hear all the stories. Thursday was the viewing and Friday was the funeral. It was a beautiful service and his grandfather was buried next to his grandmother.

Saturday we flew home and tried to recover from the stressful week. Sunday we celebrated FATHER'S DAY!! Ed's first Father's Day as a new dad. We cooked and hung out as a family. I watched Jack so he could play a few hours of video games uninterrupted. I attempted to clean as much as I could while Jack took naps. I also spent a good part of the afternoon baking cookies so he could give them to his instructors at work. When he found out about his grandfather they didn't even hesitate and got him out of work within a few minutes, so I wanted to thank them for their kindness. That night I cooked a delicious dinner that Ed had requested a few weeks ago when I asked him what he wanted. I made filets, crab legs, baked potatoes, asparagus, and crescent rolls. Ed drank some of his favorite beers. It was a nice day. Monday was definitely hard to face. We have yet to unpack our suitcases from the trip. Monday morning I started my hospital orientation and Ed had to go back to work so we were both away from Jack for the first time. He did very well for the sitter. She took him for a walk, played with him, and he drank his bottles pretty well.

We will see how the next few weeks go as we ease into our new schedules. There are a lot of challenges ahead of us. We have a couple of people in our family facing illnessa and other struggles. The only thing we can really do is pray for the best and live each day the best way we know how.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the job Elizabeth. Hang in there! This is the only time living in PA is great. It isn't too hot. Hugs & kisses to baby Jack.
Love Grandpa Ron and Mary Ann