Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week 58

April 14-20

There are quite a few funny stories in the happenings of this week. Where should I start? I think the first one is what I like to call "The Great Haircut Debate." Ed has wanted to cut off Jack's curls for awhile now because he thinks they look too girlie. I have been very resistant and so far Ed has let me win this battle, but I think I just might have to give in pretty soon. In the past couple of weeks we've heard MANY, MANY times the following types of phrases:
"Oh what a cute baby, what is her name?"

or

"Look at those curls, she is sooooo cute!!"
Despite the fact that Jack usually wears blue, black, etc. One of the times he was wearing a dark green shirt and camouflage shorts with his little brown shoes. WTH? Even if the curls looked feminine, shouldn't the clothes be a tell all? So now I jokingly call the poor baby "Jacqueline" and it makes Ed soooooo mad! It is hilarious!!!! :) To get back to my original point, I think I might give in...not because people mistake my little boy for a girl, but because it's really starting to get out of control and now truly looks like a mullet. It doesn't grow at all in the front, but the back is crazy curls everywhere! I could put it into a pony tail if I wanted. I think we might have to get the first official hair cut very, very soon. I will take pictures of course. :)
The next little story is the "Creepy Carnival." On the way home from work Ed noticed that a Catholic church on Hwy A1A was planning on having a little carnival over the weekend. Ed thought it would be a great idea to take Jack (he really just wanted a funnel cake) so he was hoping I would get called off work Saturday or Sunday. Sunday we got our chance. We put Jack down for his morning nap, packed up the diaper bag, camera, etc and planned on a fun little afternoon. We even remembered to get cash.
We got down there, parked the car, and ventured in for some fun. Before I get into the story I have to preface it by saying that I hate carnivals. In my humble opinion they always seem cheap, dirty, rigged, and a total waste of money. I was trying to keep an open mind though because I thought Jack would like to see all the rides, the people, and eat some delicious, unhealthy food (the only redeeming factor of a carnival).
So we put Jack in the stroller and agree that we should make a lap around and check out what kinds of games/rides they had. One of the first places we passed the nasty old guy smoking a cigarette says, "play this game and I guarantee the baby a prize whether you win or lose." The game was balloon darts. Ed loves darts so I was like, "go ahead and give it a try." It was $5 for 3 darts and Ed popped 2/3 balloons. So the guy gives us this little stuffed animal and then tells us that if we want to work our way up the wall to a bigger prize he will let Ed throw as many times as he wants and as long as he is winning, it will be on him.

So...Ed starts throwing, makes one, makes another one, etc. He gets up to 4 in a row and we're almost all the way up the wall so I'm like, "okay, that's good." The whole time thinking to myself we're pushing our luck and if he misses one we're going to have to pay this guy a ton of cash. So the guy grabs a big stuffed animal and goes, "that will be $40.00." I was like, "excuse me? That's not what you proposed. That wasn't the deal." The guy got pretty angry and was arguing. I'm not usually one to get angry on the spot, especially with a stranger, but I wasn't about to pay the guy ANY money...especially for one of the disgusting stuffed animals that on closer inspection were dirty. I was sooooo mad. I basically said, "just forget it," and started walking away.
We both agreed that we were finished with games, but we figured we should at least get our funnel cake that we had been looking forward to for days. We walked over to the food cart and the guy was like, "it will be at least 15 minutes until the oil will be hot enough, otherwise it will be doughy." We looked at each other and said, "lets get out of here!" We figured it was a sign and we it was probably poisoned or tainted somehow. Ed almost walked into the church to ask the staff, "Do you know what kind of people you are allowing onto your grounds????" Instead we went out for a lovely lunch at Slow 'n Low BBQ. It was DELISH!!! We've been eyeing the place since we moved here and regret not having gone sooner.


This post is getting long already so I will shorten up the rest of the stories. Jack's new thing is shaking his head "no." We wonder if it's because that's all we seem to say to him most of the time. Even when we are at our own house he is constantly getting into things he knows he's not supposed to. He can also do the sign for "all done" and he happily lets us know when he is finished eating. It is so neat that he can really understand and communicate his needs. I have noticed he really follows directions well. I can tell him to go get something specific like "mommy's shoe" or "daddy's shoe" and he can differentiate between the two.
Here is a picture of his play date with Riley. They used to fight over the car. One would sit in it and the other would always try to squeeze in beside him. They finally found a happy medium. While one sat in the car the other would push him around. So cute! :)
Okay so for my last funny story I will just let this video tell everything. For those of you who have Facebook you have already seen this. I've realized this week how much fun one little kid can be. If he continues to crack us up the way he does now, we are in for some fun family times in the future. Sometimes it makes me wonder how much fun two kids would be...

Busted Mattress

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the carnie dude in the orange shirt? The shirt says "Life is short, play dirty" which would be ironic, considering the story! Too bad about the carnival - I agree with you on all points.

Becky said...

I was about to mention the t-shirt too! Haha! WOW!

Kelly and Ashley Grogan said...

i love that jack jumps in his crib...too cute!