Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Week 143

Nov 23-29

This week we celebrated Thanksgiving, a time for giving thanks for the good things in life. This is such a wonderful day because it allows everyone to step back and reflect. I always see it as a day of hope. No matter what happens in life, no matter how bad it might seem, there is always some good, somewhere, to be thankful for. Lucky for me I have a lot of good.

Chunky Abel taking his morning bath!

Despite being doubly unemployed and living in stupid Hopkins, we had an awesome Thanksgiving. I truly feel fulfilled to be blessed with such an amazing husband and children. I guess most people would be stressed to not have any income, reliable healthcare (besides the catastrophic coverage we have), or a home they own. I just don't feel that way. I know deep down that we have a strong marriage and an incredible family. Eventually we will have jobs we love, a home that we can call our own, and many more blessings. We just have to be patient.

Jack helping mommy make frosting for the cupcakes!

Our finished product!

It has taken me a long time to get to this point. My relationship with God has not been so strong in the past. The older I get the more my view changes. I feel like I have everything in the world and I don't want for a thing. Jobs will come. The right jobs (i.e. my last post). Ed is still waiting to hear from the fire department, but after all, it is Thanksgiving week. I know that in the end the right thing will come along...whether it is the Fire Department or some other opportunity. This family will prevail as long as we have each other.

Daddy and Abel on Thanksgiving.

John and Kelly

The boys hiding in the bushes!

I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately. I guess it is because I am suddenly a parent to two kids instead of one (which seems like such a greater responsibility for some reason). I have the best kids. I really do! They are amazing!!!! Smart, adorable, polite, sweet. I could go on and on but I will stop at this and tell you about our Thanksgiving day.

They had so much fun together!

Playing in the leaves.

Great Aunt Joan holding Abel

The table after everyone demolished the food. I really meant to get a before picture.

Cookie or Cupcake? Decisions, decisions...

We started the day off by celebrating an early Thanksgiving meal at my Aunt Ruthann and Uncle Art's house. I haven't seen some of my family on this side for years so it was nice to catch up. We brought the boys over around 11:30 and everyone was just arriving, including my Uncle John who happens to have two boys who are the same age as Jack (3 years and 4 years old). We had been telling Jack he was going to get to play with kids and he was super excited.

Pretty fall leaves!

Uncle Andy helping Jack out

Need a lift?

All of the "Smarr" cousins minus Will

Luckily the backyard is fenced in and those boys ran around nearly the entire time we were over there. They played in the leaves, on the hammock, in the house. My Aunt and Uncle have three grown boys and had saved some of their toys so the boys played with cars too. It seemed like everyone had brought the kids a little something so Jack walked away with coloring books, books, and candy. He had a blast! The food was delicious, and as usual my Aunt Ruthann was a wonderful hostess with every table set up nicely. Everything was beautiful. Everyone had a wonderful time. It amazes me how much our family has grown since the last time I had Thanksgiving over there.

The little boys on the hammock

They were laughing so hard!

Mommy and Abel! :)

After we ate our first meal it was time to get on the road to Grandma's house for dinner. It was awesome this year because everyone (aka Uncle Ryan, Aunt Amanda, and Uncle Lucius) was going to be together finally. As usual there was a delicious spread. There was a regular turkey and a fried turkey...yum! We enjoyed our dinner in their beautiful dining room.

Big Hartin cutting the turkey!

Everyone helping!

Pretty table setting!


Abel and Auntie Amanda

So after dinner we went home because on Friday morning we had to decorate for Christmas! This is a tradition we started a long time ago. Ed and I both love Christmas, especially the decorating that comes along with the holiday season. We especially love our tree because of all the special ornaments. We are suckers for ornaments. Every year we have a family one made. We also pick one with the year and put our picture in it. Nothing is better than sitting by the sweet glow of a Christmas tree and relaxing with your family. Jack really seemed to enjoy helping decorate the tree. I got a few shots. I really need to get some pictures of the finished product, I will post those in the next couple of weeks.

Carefully picking his ornaments to place on the tree.

So serious! :)

When we got all of our Christmas boxes out we found these Santa hats and took some fun, silly pictures of the boys in their pajamas. Cute! :)





No comments: