Thursday, April 2, 2009

Week 1

March 11-17
The first half of the first week of Jack's life was spent in the NICU. I would have to say this whole experience was probably one of the worst things we have ever gone through. After Jack was born they took him to the nursery to clean him up and take his blood sugar. Because I had gestational diabetes I knew he was at risk for having low blood sugars shortly after birth.

Daddy holding Jack in NICU
Basically what happens with these babies is their body gets used to producing a high amount of insulin because they are constantly getting sugar and nutrients through their umbilical cord the entire time they are in the womb. When they are born, suddenly that supply is cut off. Unfortunately, their body doesn't realize it has been cut off and it is still making the same amount of insulin as it was before. Insulin eats up excess sugars and carbs, so without that supply they were previously getting from the umbilical cord the insulin depletes the sugar level and the baby bottoms out.

Mommy holding Jack in NICU
So when they took him to the nursery I passed out after all of the hard work of being in labor. Around 4:00 am a nurse came into my room with Jack and handed him to me. I was half asleep and I just thought that she was bringing him back. She handed him over and said that his sugars were low and that they had to take him to the NICU so I only had a couple of minutes to see him. Suddenly someone else ran into the room and said, "we have to take him right now." Of course Ed and I were both freaking out. Poor baby was very lethargic and I started crying when I looked at him. The nurse said "he's fine, don't worry." I was like, "he doesn't look fine to me." She gave us a number to call the NICU and said we could see him later.

Grandma holding Jack in NICU
When we finally got to go see him he had an IV in his head and was hooked up to a sugar drip to keep his blood sugars up.


Baby Jack's scalp IV
So to make a long story short he had to stay in the NICU until he could slowly be weaned off the sugar drip and maintain good blood glucose readings on his own. He finally got discharged on Sunday, March 15. It was the best day ever!! :)

No comments: